I Built A Mini Backyard Ecosystem...Here's What Happened

 I Built A Mini Backyard Ecosystem

Hi! I'm so glad you're here.

This is a Fourth of July special for all of my American viewers out there! Happy Fourth of July!

I'm currently questioning my life choices, because this project was crazy difficult.
(That's why this post doesn't have any coded elements or games; the experiment was very time consuming)

I mean, how do you even build an entire ecosystem?

You guys really wanted me to do this, so this post came to life.

And, I'm happy to say that it was definitely inspired by the votes for "Mini Ecosystem" on the Environmental Vote Machine in the sidebar. 

Thank you to everyone who commented and voted on the Environmental Vote Machine for this project, because it was (exhaustingly) fun.

The picture below was my vision, but my ecosystem turned out...a bit different. :)



Now, let's see what I've gotten myself into this time! 

Objectives

Before I started, I made a few rules for myself to make sure I treated the ecosystem and its tiny residents respectfully.
  • I’m making a tiny ecosystem just to see what happens in it.
  • I’m not going to trap or hurt any animals that end up inside it.
  • I’m only keeping it for a short time, not forever.
  • I’ll try not to mess with it too much and just let nature do its thing.
  • When I’m done, I’ll put everything back outside where it belongs.
  • I just want to watch and learn from it, not control everything.
  • I won’t leave anything worse off than when I started.

Starting off with figuring out how to build the ecosystem. I thought about using a terrarium, but I decided against it. I wanted this project to be as kid-friendly and budget-friendly as possible.

So, I decided to use something I already had a lot of: Magna-Tiles.

Here's the ecosystem from above:




After I built the basic structure, it was time to move it outside and make it as natural as possible!
I was super determined at first, but by the time we finished setting everything up, that determination had faded. 

We couldn't find any animals or insects to add. 

I was pretty discouraged, because having animals in our ecosystem was a key part, but I eventually decided to wait until the evening, when it wasn't so hot outside.


I decided to put the ecosystem on a shady part of the counter until 7:00 PM, when the animals would come out.

Something funny I saw while we were under construction was a tiny white spider that wandered in on its own. We had to gently guide it out, because construction zones are...not exactly safe.


 A wasp also quickly conducted a brief "aerial survey" of the construction site. We saw some gnats, too, which showed that we had a nice damp environment that insects could explore later.

Now came the hardest part: waiting until 7:00 PM PST to see who would move in.

(Later...)

I thought 7:00 PM would bring a flood of visitors, but only a few curious flies showed up.


The next morning, at around 8:00 AM PST, a lot of animals had come to explore.
First, there were some more flies who landed on the veggies and decaying plants, and even fought one another for it!

Next, a wasp stopped by and carried away tiny cashew and walnut shavings, presumably for its nest.




Then came the funniest visitor of them all. A lizard casually wandered over, grabbed an entire cashew, circled the ecosystem like it owned the place, and sprinted away with its prize. Unfortunately, I didn't get this on video, but I got a very blurry clip of the lizard in the rocks nearby.



Needless to say, it was amazing to see all the animals exploring on their own, and we didn't have to catch a single one and escort it in!

By the way, we saw two birds just relaxing in our backyard as well.




This experiment reminded me that ecosystems aren't something we control. If we provide food, shelter, and water, nature often surprises us all on its own.


And that's the end!

What do you think of this mini ecosystem? Let me know in the comments if I should do a part two improving on this ecosystem!

Thank you for visiting and Happy Fourth of July!






Comments

  1. Omg amazing gl with future projects

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzy the lizard 😛🦎🦎

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im the cashew king guys but this is the best post because I am in it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the initiative ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. guys we need to start a battle against rat hes too stuck up whos with me

    ReplyDelete
  6. im with you that person is fake

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope no one listen to confused im REALLY sure rat is not fake

    ReplyDelete
  8. OBSERVATION DECKMonday, July 06, 2026

    What did I just walk into

    ReplyDelete
  9. im literally right here who started this

    ReplyDelete
  10. As cashew King I declare Rat innocent

    ReplyDelete
  11. GUYS CAN WE STOP ACCUSING next your gon accuse me

    ReplyDelete
  12. IF HES rat IM hamster

    ReplyDelete
  13. this comment section has its own lore now

    ReplyDelete
  14. im suing confused for defamation

    ReplyDelete
  15. thats exactly what a fake would say. i bet You are rat trying to cover for yourself. i saw you weird comment

    ReplyDelete
  16. I leave for one day and my comment section develops its own cinematic universe. The mini ecosystem was supposed to be in the jar, not the comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I swear I’m the real rat 😏 start a revolution against confused!!😡

    ReplyDelete
  18. Again, I am with confused , this person , "Rat" , keeps spamming on all posts .

    ReplyDelete
  19. he is out of hand guys, out of hand

    ReplyDelete
  20. just bean kateMonday, July 06, 2026

    According to another post, "
    Anonymous-Saturday, June 13, 2026
    Im confused


    Rat 😏-Saturday, June 13, 2026
    Hi confused. I’m rat


    Anonymous-Monday, June 15, 2026
    >:("

    ReplyDelete
  21. everyone, I am real, I am swara's brother. please be on my side. also special thanks to da lizard, matt, and crat pp for being on my side.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. why do you keep deleting them

    ReplyDelete
  26. I’m just keeping the comments fun and making sure any jokes don’t get misunderstood by people who don’t know the context. I'm not in any danger either. Nothing personal! <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. confused 🐁 HaMsTeR Absurd Anon #3 and just bean kate are evil☹️ Don’t support them! I need to win this war of comments!! Cashout king help me!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cashew king help me confused is attacking our kingdom!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I shall save youuu

    ReplyDelete
  30. I don’t get any of this is there a plot?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Go to https://greenearthforkids.blogspot.com/2026/06/reptiles-vs-birds-natures-unexpected.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ok wow now rat is accusing US I’m offendeddd

    ReplyDelete
  33. the fact that they actually did that is crazy 💀bro started a war

    ReplyDelete
  34. This post deserves way more views than it probably has.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Im on rats side

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is such a weird fight

    ReplyDelete
  37. haha this is so funny to read

    ReplyDelete
  38. edit: I support the guy rat for starting this this is so funny

    ReplyDelete
  39. No me gusta la fight in this post

    ReplyDelete
  40. Everyone here are creeps

    ReplyDelete
  41. Are you sure. that’s rudeee

    ReplyDelete
  42. Spider and his amazing friendsWednesday, July 08, 2026

    Spideyyyy yay

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love the people here

    ReplyDelete
  44. Yeah, we are all crazy (or should I say, “Yes, they are all crazy.”?).

    ReplyDelete
  45. People stop spamming! There are literally fifty something comments now!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi, everyone! For those of you new here who want to catch up on the comment section lore, here's a funny chart that I made for absolutely no reason. :)

    🏆 Official Comment Section Awards 🏆

    Plot Starter: Rat

    Plot Starter: confused

    Royalty Award: Da lizard (Cashew King)

    Official Historian: just bean kate

    Best Lawyer: CRAT PP

    Most Overworked Peacekeeper: Matt

    Best Reaction: Observation Deck (“What did I just walk into”)

    Best Audience Comment: “I don’t get any of this… is there a plot?”

    Most Random Entrance: HaMsTeR

    Most Accurate Summary: Audi Race (“This is crazy.”)

    Biggest Plot Twist: lunaxluna choosing a side

    Most Mysterious: Área 51

    International Correspondent: Derechos

    Wholesome Award: neonn (“This post deserves way more views than it probably has.”)

    Author’s Award: Everyone for somehow turning a backyard ecosystem post into a full-blown comment section cinematic universe.

    Thanks to everyone who joined the fun and gave this comment section its own storyline. Just remember to keep it friendly and welcoming for new readers. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  47. I had more supporters

    ReplyDelete
  48. For once I agree with confused: no one wins

    ReplyDelete
  49. I don’t think anyone won this is a never ending war😄😄😄😄

    ReplyDelete
  50. For once I agree with confused too: no one wins

    ReplyDelete
  51. This is a never ending war

    ReplyDelete
  52. It was kinda fun though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we can get along from now on and be partners in crime? 🥺

      Delete
  53. Yes confused yes finally the war ended

    ReplyDelete
  54. YESSSS PEASEEEE

    ReplyDelete
  55. Your kingdom has beeen liberated!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Now we can declare war on everyone else together confused

    ReplyDelete
  57. Guess I was right.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Confused I didn’t say that that was a fake rat what should we do next as partners in crime?

    ReplyDelete
  59. Oop picked the wrong side

    ReplyDelete
  60. Really are you sure how do we know that you are telling the truth

    ReplyDelete
  61. I want to believe you but that’s sus

    ReplyDelete
  62. Dude I’m not fake I’m a real person but my real name is not rat

    ReplyDelete
  63. Just kidding 😈 I’m gonna wreak havoc

    ReplyDelete
  64. I don’t know who to believe anymore

    ReplyDelete
  65. confused I Swear on God I’m a real person by the way let’s turn everybody in the comments into a rat😄

    ReplyDelete
  66. Im the real rat I swear I want to make this more fun da lizard help me start another war it’s fun 😙😙😙😙

    ReplyDelete
  67. Da lizard help there’s a fake rat that’s trying to start the war all over again protect your kingdom

    ReplyDelete
  68. Prepare the cashew catapults!

    ReplyDelete
  69. No no more fighting it’s time to end this right confused? We can start a new one in the next post and eat the cashews right da lizard? 🦎

    ReplyDelete
  70. No that’s the fake rat destroy him!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Ok I give up let’s just stop, agreed

    ReplyDelete
  72. Agreed baby cashew agrees ttooo I tuink

    ReplyDelete
  73. Yes, finally! Agreeed!

    ReplyDelete
  74. This is so cute, I love your blog, Swara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for supporting my blog! (Also, I love your profile name!)
      /\___/\\
      ( =^.^= )
      (")_(")

      Delete
  75. A war is stirring in the shadows…


    To be continued next time…

    ReplyDelete
  76. Hi guys I’m mango!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

6 Super Fun Original Arcade Games :)

Save the Planet Challenge! (Mini Game Inside!)

Reptiles Vs. Birds: A Demented Game